- 1 1/2 cups|7.5 ounces all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Speculaas spice mix from King Arthur Flour (see note for substitution)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup|6 ounces Turbinado (Raw) sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
- 1 large egg
To make cookies:
- Whisk flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl
- In the bowl of a food process, pulse sugar for 30 seconds. Add butter and process until mass forms and no large pieces of butter remain, about 30 seconds. Add egg and process until smooth and paste-like.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a spatula. Use hands to knead until no dry pieces of flour remain.
- Using two pieces of parchment, roll dough to 3/8-inch thickness. I use this rolling pin for exact measurements. Transfer parchment and dough to cookie sheet and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes. This makes it easier to remove cookies and ensures a chilled cookie for baking.
- While cookies are chilling, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Remove dough from freezer and break apart cookies from rest of dough. Place cookies on parchment or silpat-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 18-22 minutes until set. Cool for 5 minutes before moving to wire rack to cool completely
*If you do not have the Speculaas spice blend from King Arthur Flour, substitute: 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground mace, pinch ground anise seed, pinch ground white pepper.