For the cupcakes:
- 1 2/3 cups flour | 8.3 ounces
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar | 5.25 ounces
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar | 1.75 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin filling)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
For the frosting:
- 1 cup / 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- pinch salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3–4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cupcakes:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Mix with wire whisk. Make a well in the center. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, and melted butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into well of dry ingredients. Using a spatula, gently fold wet ingredients into flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- Line standard muffin tins with cupcake liners for 15 cupcakes. Using a 4 tablespoon cookie scoop, fill each about 3/4 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan and then turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
To make frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the softened butter and pinch of salt until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl. Add the sifted powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and beat until smooth. Add 3 tablespoons of cream, maple syrup, and vanilla and continue beating until fully incorporated. If it seems a bit thick, add the extra T of cream. If you prefer a sweeter frosting, add another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes or spread with an offset spatula. Sprinkle cinnamon or decorate with holiday sprinkles.
I only use unsalted butter when I bake. This allows me to control the amount of salt added to my recipes. Salted butter has varying amounts depending on the brand.