For the cake
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup | 7 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups | 7.5 ounces flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche, room temperature
For the glaze
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- scant 1/8 teaspoon lavender extract
- culinary lavender for decoration, optional
- Spray and line a loaf pan with a parchment sling. Set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, cream butter for 1 minute. Add sugar and continue beating for another two minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl to ensure it’s thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping bowl between additions. Add vanilla, zest, and juice. Mix for one minute.
- Alternate adding flour and creme fraiche, beginning and ending with flour. Do not overmix.
- Pour into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake for 55-65 minutes, until top is lightly browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes in pan, then remove loaf by lifting parchment sling and cooling completely on a wire rack.
For the glaze:
- Whisk all ingredients and pour over cooled cake.
Unglazed cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and then in foil and refrigerated for up to 3 days, or frozen up to a month. To serve, bring to room temperature and then glaze.