- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup|3.5 ounces granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup|1.75 ounces light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup|5 ounces all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 6 ounces dried Calimyrna figs
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
To make bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for an additional minute.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. With the mixer running on low, add the dry ingredients until combined.
- Stir in by hand the oatmeal, chocolate, and figs.
- Spread the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove parchment sling and continue cooling bars on rack.
- Cut into squares when cooled. Store at room temperature up to 3 days.